The National Association for Language Development in the Curriculum is the professional body for those working with pupils learning EAL. Its site contains free news items and some resources, but joining for a small subscription gives you access to a quarterly journal, a range of resources and guidance documents, latest research, training and conferences.
EAL Bilingual is an online chat forum managed by NALDIC. It is a great source of advice, training, events and for posing questions.
Previous DfE publications:
Excellence & Enjoyment: learning and teaching for bilingual children in the primary years
All Lambeth schools were given this box of guidance documents. Each guide from the pack can be found via links below:
- Introductory guide: role of leadership team and role of EAL coordinator
- Unit 1 Planning and assessment for language and learning – understanding how children with EAL learn, role of talk, planning and assessment
- Unit 2 Creating the learning culture: making it work in the classroom – excellent for strategies and resources
- Unit 3 Creating an inclusive learning culture – school ethos, curriculum partnerships with parents, use of first language
- Unit 4 Speaking, listening, learning: working with children learning EAL – focus on all speaking/listening activities
- Teaching units to support guided writing sessions for children with EAL – each addresses a particular area of grammar known to be a challenge for children learning EAL